Coorg’s role in Indian Army
Coorg District famously known as land of warriors, the soldiers in the king’s period fought for freedom for the king’s and British. Nowadays thousands of youth participating in audition for Army and spending their part of life in Indian Army in different parts of India to protect the country. Youths are showing interest to join Indian Army, hundreds of youths joins to army every year for navy, ground force, and air force. The selection of Indian army conducted in a particular place and season, the candidates gather here to fulfill their dreams in Indian Army.
Kodandera Madappa Cariappa (1919-1993) famously known as ‘Field Marshal Cariappa’ is a first Indian chief of Army Staff of Indian Army and brought laurels to his homeland, their statues installed in the center of Madikeri Town. He served 29 years in the Indian army and involved in World War II and Indo-Pakistan War of 1947 battles. General Thimmaiha is another well known personality chief of Army staff from 1957 to 1961, Timmayya involved in Indo-Pakistani War of 1947 he earned ‘Padma Bhushan’ and Distinguished Service Order Awards.
Notable Personalities who worked for the Indian Army:
- Field Marshal Kodandera Madappa Cariappa OBE (28 January 1899 – 15 May 1993)
- Kodendera Subayya Thimayya (March 30, 1906 – 1965).
- Rai Saheb I P Muthanna, WW1 (1914-1918)
- Air Marshal Cheppudira D Subbia
- Lt General Apparanda Aiyappa
- Air Marshal K C Nanda
- Nadikerianda Bheemaiah
- Squadron Leader Devayya
- Major Ranjan Chengappa
- Col C(Chembanda) M Thimmanna
- Brigadier P.T. Monappa
- Major M.C.Muthanna
- Naik Pemmanda D Kaveriappa
- Squadron Leader Mandepanda Appachu Ganapathy
- Ulliyada Subramani Muthanna