Madikeri fort and palace are the attractions both are old and has an interesting history, and both are used by the Government of Karnataka for many purposes including offices and Court.
The fort once the Administrative building of some kings, first built in the 17th century by Mudduraja, finally rebuilt using granite by Tipu Sultan and he named ‘Jaffarabad’. Doddaveera Rajendra occupied and took control of the fort in 1790, the British added to the fort in 1834. The Fort was utilized as district jail till 2010. It is still locked and not allowed for visitors, outside of the fort can be seen.
The Palace was built by Mudduraja and renovated by Lingarajendra Wodeyar II in 1812-1814, located next to Madikeri Fort, with attractions of Two life-size Elephants and Old Church (Presently Museum holds thousands of historical items of Coorg). The Palace is home to many Government departments mainly for Deputy Commissioner (DC). At the some edges of the Palace area distinct Madikeri Town View can be seen.