Elevation: 3,481 ft (1,061 m)
Telephone Code: 08272
Madikeri is a Town in Madikeri Taluka and Headquarters of Coorg district, once it was called as its Anglicized name ‘Mercara’ which was used at the time of British administration. The town situated at an elevation of 1,061 meters above sea level, and home to around 33,381 inhabitants as on 2011 census. Madikeri is surrounded by rich green traps of the Western Ghats, has many attractions including temples, viewpoints, Gardens and historical structures. As located on High altitude is the best spot to enjoy scenery such as misty mountains, peak ranges, and dotted paddy fields within the thick green forest.
History: The History of this town is interesting as ruled by many dynasties including the British, formerly known as Muddu raja keri, was named after the King Madduraja (ruled Kodagu from 1633 to 1687).
Languages: The major native languages are Kannada, Kodava Takk and Arebhase.
Festivals: The main festivals are Kailpodhu, Kaveri Sankramana, Puttari and Dasara. Karaga festival also starts during the time of Navaratri.
Weather: Climate generally cool over the year (Average High 260C and Low 160C), January records lowest temperature is about 14.90C as highest records on May of 280C.
Attractions in Madikeri Town
- Raja Seat: A beautiful Garden with four pillared mortars, from here enjoy the scenery of high and low raised hills, dotted paddy fields within the thick green forest.
- Toy Train: Children’s are very curious and interesting, it takes you within small human-made the valley, the toy train running on schedule or on demand.
- Omkareshwara Temple: The temple of Shiva built by King Lingarajendra in 1820, Islamic and Gothic styles of architecture used to build the temple, is located in the heart of Madikeri Town.
- Madikeri Fort and Palace: This is built by Mudduraja in the 17th century, life-size elephant, Church and Lord Ganesha temple (Kote Ganapathy) are the attractions here.
- Golf Ground: Located just 3 km’s from Madikeri which the road leading to Galibeedu Village, the Golf Club maintains the Ground and not allowed to visit for tourists If you keen to walk around get permission from the Golf Club.
- Gaddige: Raja’s Tomb built on top of the small hill on the edge of the town, a monument built in 1820, the tomb surrounded by beautiful Garden which is renewed recently.
Tourist Places in Madikeri Taluka
How to Reach
This town has well maintained Road from Mysore, Mangalore and Hassan (Mangalore and Hassan Highway Road under in Progress), Rail and Air Transport doesn’t exist yet. Nearest Railway Stations are located in Mysore, Hassan and Puttur, nearest Airport in Mysore and Mangalore.
- 268 kms from Bangalore or 4 h 50 min drive (via NH 48)
- 118 kms from Mysore or 2 h 39 min ( via Mangalore – Mysore )
- 137 kms from Mangalore or 2 h 57 min (via NH275 and Mangalore – Mysore Hwy)
Where to Stay
Accommodations filled in the town for visitors to stay and provide foods (local and other Indian foods). In the time of festivals and holidays, it is little difficult to get accommodations including lodges and homestays, need to book at least month before stay. Many Homestays and Hotels are providing online and Phone Booking services. We recommend tourists to stay in Madikeri and visit surrounding attractions and places from Madikeri for convenient access. You can find Luxury to Budget accommodations in and around the town.
About Madikeri Taluka:
Madikeri Taluka is one of the subdivisions of Kodagu district, consist of few towns and several villages, there is a total of 67 villages in Madikeri Taluka, and few tiny towns which consist of few general stores for locals.