Virajpet – A Small Town of Importance
Elevation: 2,982 ft (909 m)
Telephone Code: 08274
Virajpet is the town and Headquarters of Virajpet Taluka in Kodagu District, peoples also call this town as ‘Virajapete’. It was called as ‘Virarajendrapete’, derived after the former ruler Virarajendra of Kodagu. Kannada is the main spoken language along with Kodava Takk, Are Bhase, Malayalam, and Tulu. Virajpet Taluka consists of many tiny towns and villages and the population is scarce here. Coffee, Pepper Ginger, Rice and some spices are the major crops grown in the rural areas, many notable educational institutions located in and around the town. Many local and famous sports events conducted here on special vacation and festivals. This place is pleasant and green throughout the year as a result Virajpet is one of the largest honey producers in Asia .
This region was ruled and controlled by many dynasties and also ruled by The Gangas, the Kadambas, the Chalukyas, the Cholas, the Hoysalas, the Rastrakutas and the Vijaynagar Royals, also ruled this region by British.
Weather: Surrounded by a green cover and receives rain heavily, cool and pleasant throughout the year, winter and monsoon are colder and summer little hot.
Sightseeing in Virajpet Town
Most of the tourist places situated outside of the Virajpet town, you can find many in Virajpet Taluka, only a few tourist attractions can be found in the town, they are
- St. Anne’s Church: This Church is 220 years old which has been built in Gothic architect, is one of the main attraction of the town.
- Clock tower: Clock Tower was built in 1915, situated in the center of where three road meets, is the famous place in Virajpet.
Tourist Places in Virajpet Taluka
- Thadiyandamol: Highest peak in Kodagu District at 1748 meters and best place for trekking and nature lovers.
- Padi Igguthappa Temple: Holy place for Kodavas, located in Kakkabe Village, accessible by road, built in 1810 by Linga Rajendra.
- Irupu waterfall: Waterfall located 48 km from Virajpet falls from the height of 17 feet, visitors must walk about a kilometer to reach Irupu.
- Nagarahole National Park: Filled by Rich wildlife, flora and fauna, is spread in Kodagu and Mysore district, around 75 km away from Madikeri.
- Nalknad Palace: A Palace with an interesting history, built between 1792 and 1794 situated in near Napoklu town (20 km from Madikeri).
How to get there
Virajpet is well connected by road through Mangalore, Mysore, Bangalore and other places from Kerala including Cities Kannur, Thalassery, and Wayanad.
- 32 kms from Madikeri or 51 min drive via Virajpet Rd
- 66 kms from Somwarpet or 1 h 38 min drive via SH 91
- 105 kms from Mysore or 2h 14 min drive via Hunsur – Mysore
- 165 kms from Mangalore or 3 h 39 min drive via Puttur – SUllia – Madikeri
Virajpet is the Town, tourists can get the budget to luxury accommodation within the town and you can get Homestays and resorts within plantation and forests outside of Virajpet town. Local and south Indian foods are provided by many hotels in the town.